Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Tuesdays With Morrie Pt.III

Prompt-Explain how the past four Socratic Seminars have influenced your thinking about Tuesdays with Morrie and life in general.
What trends did you notice with yourself and your personal goals for each seminar? How did your personal goal(s) change and what did you actively do to change throughout our last four discussions?
What trends did you notice with the class for each seminar? What did you notice that helped or hindered a specific seminar?


The past four Socratic Seminars have influenced my understanding of 'Tuesdays With Morrie' and just how I intake the world in many ways. When first beggining the book I thought that it was kind of morbid to be recording a mans death. After the first Socratic Seminar I began to see the book in a more positive light. During the seminars I saw how other interpreted Morries aphorisms and just the book in general and I changed my views. Tuesdays With Morrie made me want to change the way I live my daily life. I have realized that in American society and culture we are very oblivious to what goes on around us and to social interaction. I feel as if I am more aware of what is going on in our world and just an all around more aware person about our futures and how much our decisions affect the world.


Throughout the seminars I noticed some trends about myself and my goals for our seminars. Something I noticed about myself was that I made a lot of connections to other literature (Valley Of The Dolls, The Perks Of Being A Wallflower) and to music (Album:Froot By Marina And The Diamonds), but I rarely vocalized these connections. I realized that I didn't vocalize these connections due to two reasons. Reason one being that my connections felt out of place in our conversations, and reason two being that I felt no one would know what I was connecting to/wouldn't understand my connections. During the seminars my goals never really changed but after the first seminar I really did try to speak more as we had more seminars.

During our seminars I noticed a lot of trends amongst the group. One trend was that it was usually the same 4-5 people talking and starting the conversations, or asking the first question. I also noticed that we were not giving many people the chance to speak. For example, many times during the seminar a person would try to talk but would immediately get cut off by someone else. I also noticed that whenever there was no speaking it would get kind of awkward and everyone would laugh and just repeat things that were already said. Some things that helped the seminar was when people would ask Indepth questions (opinion questions), and when people made connections to previous literature we have read. Some things that hindered the seminar was when individuals would call out others who rarely spoke to get them to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment