Thursday, March 10, 2016

Valley Of The Dolls Pt.II

Prompt-Pretend you get to create the music soundtrack for what you’ve been reading.
What five songs would you include? Write an explaination for each song: why
would you include it, how does the song connect to events.

**SPOILERS**

1.Valley Of The Dolls By Marina And The Diamonds
I picked this song simply because it gives a good summary of what to expect from this book. The song references a lot of what Anne, Jennifer, and Neely go through in the novel, such as sleeping to avoid pain, having different personalities, and feeling empty. It has a sort of melancholy feel that is felt throughout the entire of the novel so far.

2.Last Hope by Paramore
'I don't even know myself at all. I thought I would be happy by now', a verse from this song really connects with Neely. I picked this song to represent Neely O'Hara. Neely is the youngest of the girls and also the most talented. Neely is a singer, actress, and Broadway performer. After finding success Neely goes into a downward spiral. She jumps from husband to husband, pops pills, and quite often tries to commit suicide. As Neely nears 30 we began to see how unhappy she is with her life and how she thought that success would bring her happiness. This is Neelys song because both her and the singer (Hayley Williams) both feel as if they were mislead and need something to keep them going. For Hayley it's the band but for Neely it's her twin sons, Jud and Bud.

3.Pretty When You Cry By Lana Del Rey
I picked this song for Jennifer North. One of Jennifer's first relationships with a man after being in relationships with women, is fairly abusive. Her boyfriend/husband verbally, physically abuses her, and cheats on her. In this song Lana shows a lot of emotion about the abusive relationship and shows a line that relates a lot to Jennifer. 'I'll wait for you, babe, it's all I do babe, you don't come through babe, you never do, because I'm pretty when I cry.' This relates to Jennifer because her husband Tony always leaves for 'work' where he cheats on her and she constantly waits for him but all he ever does is abuse her when he gets back and likes how she looks when she is in pain.

4.Teen Idle By Marina And The Diamonds
This is a song of regret. This song relates to every girl. Neely regrets taking pills, Anne regrets not loving Lyon enough, Jennifer regrets never having children. 'I want to drink until I ache. I want to make a big mistake. I want blood, guts, and chocolate cake. I'm gonna puke it anyway.' The drinking and vomiting in for Neely. Neely basically has an eating disorder. She barely eats 5 meals a week and is addicted to diet pills. 'I wish I wasn't such a narcissist. I wish I didn't really kiss the mirror when I'm on my own. Oh God, I'm gonna die alone.' This is for Jennifer. Jennifer has no talent but is constantly hired because of her beauty, but at age 40 discovers that she has breast cancer and has to get a mascetomy. She then realizes that people (including herself) only loved her because of her body and that her husband will leave her because of her body change. (Her husband later decides to leave her because of the loss of her breasts. Jennifer commits suicide.)

5.Gasoline By Halsey
Once again this is a song for Neely. This song is written by someone who suffers from bipolar disorder and is about their bipolar and it really fits Neelys life. ''All the people say 'You can't wake up. This is not a dream...With your face all made up, living on a screen. Low on self esteem so you run on gasoline.'" And "Are you insane like me? Been in pain like me?". This really fits Neelys life because she simply lives on movie screens and doesn't have a real life. She appears beautiful on screen but in reality is in pain and lives her life in regret. Neely hears these voices in her head that she needs to get better but simply cannot. She is not in control of her life just like the singer.





No comments:

Post a Comment