Sunday, March 6, 2016

Valley Of The Dolls

Prompt- Choose a quote you like and explain why you chose it.


'I don't think I have an identity yet.' 
The quote that I fell in love with from 'Valley Of The Dolls'. Anne says this to Lyon in the beggining of the book. 

I fell in love with this quote because because of the ideas of identities. You are never simply yourself and I feel like Anne explains this very well through out the novel so far. Each person you have met has a different version of you that they think of when they hear your name. You might believe in who you think you are but you are never truly that person to anyone but yourself. 

Another reason I fell I love with this quote was because of how I relate it to 'The Archetypes'. Each girl in 'Valley Of The Dolls' represents an archetype. Anne represents the Housewife, Jennifer represents the Beauty Queen and Homewrecker, and Neely represents the Idle Teen. While Jennifer and Neely know exactly who they want to be Anne doesn't quite know what she wants in life. She desperately wants to marry Lyon and remain a house wife while also wanting to be a Beauty Queen like Jennifer, and wanting to be a working woman in society. 

I really love this quote just because of how much it relates to myself. I feel as if identity is something that is very fluid because of how often it changes. This relates to me because as a person whenever I feel I have built an identity for myself I change as a person just how Anne has. 



No comments:

Post a Comment